Thursday, July 22, 2010

Day 1 & 307 lbs. - A New Start

Wow. My doctor congratulated me at my last appointment. I "only" weighed 307 lbs.

Apparently, and I say this because I obviously blocked out my previous appointment's weigh-in, I was 327 in December. (Really? 327 lbs?!!) Well, it was nice to see I was able to shed 20 lbs - no doubt from my (now failed) New Year Resolution efforts of January and February.

I see myself every single day, and I don't think I look 307 lbs. However, I'm always shocked when I see a photograph of myself - especially when other people are in the shot. Consequently, I am usually the picture taker, not the subject (if I can at all help it).

I've come to the realization that my youth can no longer protect me from the consequences of my poor eating habits and lack of exercise. This is mostly because I'm not young anymore, not even close, at 47. Just in the last few years, my doctor has added a blood pressure pill, followed by a cholesterol pill, and now - Glucophage. That is for diabetes. I just hit that all-important A1C mark of 7.0. Well, I actually passed it. The blood-work came back saying I was at 7.4 ...

I did this to myself, of course, always promising I'll make better choices "tomorrow," only that gets pushed off to the next tomorrow, and then the next ...

I have been obese for 20 years now. That is a LONG time. I "treated myself" right out of my good health. That has got to stop. I want to spend the next 20 years being healthy, so today is the day I start that process!

Like so many other obese people, I've tried various diets and weight loss plans. I've spent a small fortune over the years, with varying degrees of success, while never reaching my goals of sustained good health. I also bought exercise equipment with the best of intentions, which became rather expensive clothes hangars, before eventually being given away at rummage sales or to charities. I know what I need to do. (I think lots of obese people do, we've learned a lot about diets and nutrition over the years.) It is a matter of applying what I know now, consistently, and then sticking to it. I simply cannot afford to keep giving myself a free pass to eat in unhealthy ways.

So, I'm going to do the best I can, taking it one day at a time, and see what changes I can affect before my next doctor appointment (and my next blood work-up). My primary goal there is to simply have better numbers when my next blood work-up is done.

My first actual weight loss goal will be to lose 10% of my weight. That target is 30 lbs., or to bring my weight down to 277 lbs. Wow, that is heavier than some professional football players! Anyway, I am not setting any dates for weight loss targets at this point. I just want to see the number going down. I don't care how slowly it goes, as long as it is heading in the right direction. I didn't gain this overnight, so I have to be realistic in my expectations. I think I am. I'm not looking for any big weekly loss here, just consistency in choosing healthier options for myself. I am going to focus first on diet. I'll add exercise (ugh) later, concentrating first on getting myself onto a healthier diet. Vegetables need to become my friend. And I need to see a LOT less of my buddy, cheese.

So, Day # 1 = 307 lbs. I don't expect to see that number again!

No comments:

Post a Comment