Sunday, July 25, 2010

Day 4 - Ugh, Vegetables

You know, it occurred to me this morning that perhaps I should say something about what I'm actually eating.

I honestly don't know which is the bigger struggle for me - giving up the unhealthy things I enjoy eating, or incorporating enough vegetables into my routine eating habits.

Don't get me wrong, I actually like (some) vegetables, but the daily recommended servings amount seems awfully high to me, which says something about how often I ate things with color to them. I wonder if I'm alone in that thinking.

So, my battle is now to add enough vegetables to my daily diet. (Sigh) If only potatoes were green ...

Yesterday, I managed to eat: beets, carrots, broccoli, tomatoes, onion and mushrooms. That was pretty good. Actually, it was better than I realized. Now, amounts are another thing. But hey, I am working on that.

I discovered a fat-free dressing I actually like:

Maple Grove Farms of Vermont's Fat Free Balsamic Vinaigrette

It is really flavorful and I don't miss the bad stuff at all. (Thank you, Maple Grove Farms!) I didn't think that was possible - to truly enjoy a fat free dressing - and with no funny after-taste.

I wasn't much of a salad eater before, but this makes it completely doable for me.

Back to vegetables ... I think my strategy for this upcoming week will be to make a big pot of homemade vegetable soup. That could easily be a few servings of veggies each day. And my strategy for eating carrots and celery for snacks is working out well - and adds another serving or two. I am aiming for a minimum of four vegetable servings a day (to start). That is a lot for me.

I enjoy fruit more, but I realize I wasn't really incorporating fruit into my diet on a daily basis. Or, I might have juice now and again. That isn't good enough. I'm trying to eat three servings of fruit a day - not juice. However, I plan to use juice for those times I just can't get in enough fresh fruit. Yesterday, I ate a serving of strawberries (yum!), an apple, and a banana. My body was probably wondering what paradise I fell into - fresh fruit! haha Actually, I find adding fruit is SO much easier than adding vegetables ... surprise, surprise.

Back to vegetables ... I discovered "Steamers" - frozen veggies you can put in the microwave to cook. They are actually very good. I stocked a few of those in my freezer, for days when I just don't have time (or the inclination) to prepare fresh veggies. However, fresh is always the standard I shoot for.

I am trying to get into the habit of working with a variety of foods, because I think this will eliminate any concerns about boredom. This is especially true of vegetables, although I never seemed to get bored with potatoes in ANY form. (Why is that?) I am not including white potatoes into my diet, because it would be too easy to fall into old habits, plus, they would no doubt replace green vegetables in my world. So, I am banishing my old friend the potato (for now). I like sweet potatoes, though not nearly as much, so when I am just craving a potato, I'll think sweet.

All I know is that new routines take a lot of work. I know this new way of eating will eventually get easier, but it sure takes great effort, initially. I keep reminding myself that this is for my health and well-being. It is about properly fueling what my body needs. Goodness, I take more care in what goes into my car's gas tank, than in what goes into my body. That is just wrong! And things are going to change ...

Day 4 and doing well.

No comments:

Post a Comment