Friday, September 10, 2010

Day 51 - Changes

"We first make our habits, and then our habits make us." -- John Dryden

Isn't that the truth?!

I'm trying to get rid of bad old habits by replacing them with new, healthier ones.

And it is getting easier.

I am hit with less cravings and fewer strong temptations. They haven't gone away completely, mind you, but they are much less frequent than they were even a month ago. Their calls to me are growing fainter and less demanding.

I like that.

I have more energy. I almost didn't notice, the change has been a subtle one. But, I find myself doing more in a lot of little ways. I don't tire as easily. I sleep more soundly. Things have just become - well - easier, and more comfortable. I'd almost forgotten ...

When the body is properly fueled over a period of time, the internal systems start to regain efficient functioning, and it shows. Everything, it seems, adds to the body's general well-being.

I enjoy feeling this way, especially coming into autumn. The cooler weather just adds to my energy level.

I appreciate this feeling more, the second time around. I took it all for granted, and it went away.

THIS time, I am savoring the marvel of it all, and I am working hard to regain and keep it.

THIS time, the changes are in the positive, healthy direction, and I am going to keep it that way.

I am now thoughtfully choosing my habits. And I am going to let my healthier habits make me anew. Changes are a good thing!

6 comments:

  1. Very good post! We really are what we habitually do!

    Hugs,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ann ... yes focus on the positive. When you have more energy, you move more and that's gets you closer to where you want to be. Keep on trucking!

    ~Sheilah

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean... changes being subtle and slowly, yet it just dawns on you how better you feel and how you are making healthier choices. I feel that same way. I SO want this to be a permanent change, and I know it's up to ME to make it that way. Having less weight on me sure makes things easier!! Way to go! :)

    ~Margene

    ReplyDelete
  4. Exactly, Margene! It isn't easy - but it IS easier. I think because it isn't all so new and overwhelming. I'm getting a handle on things now. Sheilah, great point! The more we move in a positive directly, the more we want to move. And Mary, thanks!! I was just in such a great mood this morning, when I realized I was feeling better than I had in a long time. It won't always feel that way, of course, but today was wonderful! xxox

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome quote, and awesome post! Having more energy is amazing. A year and a half ago, I hardly got off the couch because I was too wiped out all the time. I like that you're not taking your energy and zest for life for granted this time. Reading that made me appreciate my second chance, too. Thanks! You are making wonderful, positive changes, and you should be so proud of yourself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Ann! Thought provoking. Habits are hard to break, but once we create new habits we can rely on those instead and that is where true change occurs. =)

    ReplyDelete